Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cole (1), West (0) ?


Welcome back to E Willz Music folks!  The past few weeks I have been busy putting in some time towards the album and it is going to be a great blend of jazz and a variety of genres!  Yesterday I had the opportunity to travel with a fellow musician and listen to both new albums from Kanye West and J. Cole. First of all, I must say that I have respect for both artists and what they are bringing to the music industry. However, Kanye has definitely failed to live up to the hype in my opinion so I will give my endorsement to J. Cole's "Born Sinner."

Marketing Situation

As a music critic and aspiring businessman I could not help but take notice to the advertising strategies of both parties in the dates leading to their releases.  J. Cole's label took the safe route in marketing his album the old fashion way with pushing lead tracks and participating in many interviews.  I will give J. Cole's team a lot of respect for doing something different by charging fans 1 dollar for tickets to his current tour for the album.

Kanye, on the other hand, relied solely on his reputation and popularity to promote his album without pushing any tracks to his audience nor talking much about the project's purpose.  Although I do believe that Kanye has already set his legacy in the industry I do not agree with the route that he took.  If you are using controversy and building up a tremendous hype for your album you better be completely sure that your music will bring it!  Unfortunately for Kanye, he is surrounded by so many people stroking his ego that he may not be aware of the risk he takes.

Yeezus vs Sinner

The purpose of Mr. West's "Yeezus" was to send a bold message that would have everyone talking for sometime.  Kanye has always been known for great hooks accompanied by banging compositions (and I chose the word "composition" for a reason) but this album just seems like he got all of his track ideas from a mediocre beat maker and mixed and mastered it with techno beats.  It was hard on my ears to listen to but, then again, that was the point of the album.

I may be sounding a bit like a "hater" towards my man Kanye but after listening to just the first song of "Born Sinner" I was sold!  The album was very well orchestrated and thought out and as I skimmed through the tracks I found it easy to follow the story that J. Cole was selling.  Good flows and good music will cause me to give J. Cole the "W" for Tuesday's battle of the albums.

So, to conclude, I believe that "Yeezus" is a little overrated and should be reviewed again by real musicians and competent industry personal.  Am I the only one that feels this way?  I urge you all to go out and listen to both albums and see for yourself and don't forget to find your way back here to leave a comment!

Live the Music

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellis,
    This was a very interesting post. You brought out very good points about both artists. Your analysis of the marketing tactics of both teams was intriguing to me. As someone who also markets artists, I would have to agree with your assessment of the success of J. Cole's approach. That method is tried and true for a reason. Kanye's success, however, is at a point that he can step out of the box in his marketing tactics.

    Kanye has always pushed the limits of music and his current album is no different. I think his new album will be more appreciated after the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th listen. It is something that listeners will need to sit and digest to really appreciate. Similar to his album "808s and Heartbreak," people will appreciate its artistic advances later on. Everyone didn't love that album at first listen, but as time passed they began to get the point of the album and appreciate its sound.

    J. Cole's album is a very solid release that will help to solidify his place in the hip-hop community. He is actually on the same path that Kanye was on in his first releases. As with any new artist, it is important to build a loyal fan base before taking more risks.

    ReplyDelete