Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What is the Industry Thinking?!?


Welcome back everyone and I hope that your week is going in the right direction! So I spent the last three days trying to figure out the next topic for this blog. I spent time talking with friends, watching movies where Trey Songz gets his head chopped off, and getting used to my new trumpet while working on some new tracks.

While hopping around twitter trying to find people to follow I came across a tweet from @rollingstone which read: "@RollingStone: M.I.A. says her new album, delayed because her record label thought its sound was "too positive," is due out in April"



......really?

I'm not a huge fan of M.I.A. but, I respect her artistry and can't help but shake my head at her label for making such an ignorant decision towards her music.


WHAT IS THE ISSUE?

I couldn't help but wonder what was so "positive" about her content that her record execs couldn't bear to let out. Also, considering where M.I.A. is from, I took into consideration the current event that is rocking that nation and how it is affecting the world. I had my own assumptions as to what made the label push the project back but first I wanted to get more info out of the situation.

I had to find the answers to these burning questions:
Where is she REALLY from?
Where does she currently reside?
What ties does her latest album, if any, has to the event?
Why did her label push her album back?
What was M.I.A. saying in her album that was to positive for the world to hear?


HERE ARE THE FACTS

So as I researched various sites for answers I discovered that my speculations were far from the truth. As I read the headlines for the story I wanted to believe that her music may have had something to do with the horrible gang rape that took place in India recently. It would've been a bad move on her label if they were to censor her from protesting the event in her music. As I failed to connect the story what I did find was the truth and here it is:

•M.I.A. Is from an area in London, England
•She currently resides in her home in Brentford in LA and frequently travels to her mother's home back in England.
•Until M.I.A. discusses the content of her album in an interview we will not not what ties it has to the event until the album is released in April.


SO WHAT'S UP WITH HER LABEL?

M.I.A.'s album was pushed back due to her wanting to make her image a little bit more cleaner. As her label spent the previous years making her out to be a "bad girl" they see it damaging to her image to bring positivity into her music. So many more things I could say about the findings of this information but I will share that in the next blog. This boils over into a deeper issue:

Who is the master of an artist's image and why should that put a shackle on their music?

For more information on the story click here

Check out M.I.A.'s website

Please comment and tell me what you think about this post and feel free to share!

Live the Music....

No comments:

Post a Comment